- Ten Ways to Support Josh
- Join the Free Josh Wolf Coalition
- Write Your Elected Representatives
- Write Josh
- NEW! Write US Attorney Scott Schools
10 WAYS TO SUPPORT JOSH
1) DONATE to Josh’s support fund via Paypal
2) SEND LETTERS and maintain correspondence with Josh while he is incarcerated. We need to let Josh know that we are thinking of him and supporting his courageous and important stand. Click here for info on how to send a letter to Josh
3) READ HIS BLOG from prison. Josh’s blog is still being updated by his family and friends. Letters from Josh will be posted as they are received. Click here for Josh’s Blog
4) DISTRIBUTE FLYERS about his case: Flyers
5) SEND A BOOK to Josh. Write for the book(s) Josh currently wants.
6) PLAN BENEFIT CONCERTS AND EVENTS to raise money and awareness. There have been several concerts and fundraisers thrown recently to support Josh. If you are interested in hosting a concert or other type of fundraiser please contact Josh’s support team at: freejosh(at)joshwolf.net so we can assist you with publicizing your event.
7) JOIN AND PARTICIPATE in the Support Josh Wolf Email List.
8) PROMOTE JOSH’S CASE. Write letters and articles of support for Josh to your local media. Blog about his case. Link to his blog and wiki. Post "support Josh" banners on your blogs and webpages.
9) SEND LETTERS to the other inmates who are being incarcerated along with Josh at FCI Dublin. You can get their contact information at Prison and Prisoner Support.
10) BECOME INVOLVED WITH THE SUPPORT TEAM. Email: freejosh(at)joshwolf.net or the Email List if you are interested in getting more involved. We still need people willing to help with tech support, organizing, fundraising, graphic design, publicity, media and legal support. Send an email to the support team indicating how you would like to help and we will plug you in!
Join the Free Josh Wolf Coalition
NEW! Sign the Free Josh Wolf Coalition petition!
Please join the coalition and get your organization to join! Contact andy.blue(AT)yahoo.com
The Free Josh Wolf Coalition is a made up of a growing list of
organizations and individuals from around the country who support Josh
Wolf and consider his imprisonment unjust and a violation of the
freedom of the press as guaranteed by the US Consititution. The
coalition calls on the Federal Government to immediately release Josh.
All members of the Coalition have signed on to the following Statement.
Free Josh Wolf Coalition Statement
We the undersigned are united and firmly resolved in support of
freelance journalist and videographer, Josh Wolf, who is in coercive
custody at the Federal Correctional Facility in Dublin, California
because of his principled and courageous stand in defense of the
constitutionally guaranteed freedoms of speech, of the press, and of
In September 2006, he was forced to re-enter a Federal Penitentiary for
refusal to turn over his news footage from a July 2005 protest to a
Federal Grand Jury because of his journalistic principles. Josh has
repeatedly stated and signed a declaration under oath that there is
nothing in his footage, which relates to the police investigation. He
has not committed nor been charged with a crime and we consider his
incarceration to be an obvious and grave injustice.
We are deeply grateful to Josh for the bravery and fortitude he has
shown in refusing to compromise our rights as US citizens even at the
cost of wrongful imprisonment.
As it is the sworn duty of elected leaders in a free society to
preserve, protect and defend constitutional freedoms, we call upon
local, state, and federal officials to join us in taking a public stand
on Josh’s behalf. We call upon the United States government to release
Josh immediately from coercive custody.
Write Your Elected Representatives
Please write your elected officials and ask them to take a public stand
on Josh’s behalf by supporting a federal shield law. Our elected leaders are sworn to uphold the
constitution and need to hear from their constituents that they cannot
remain silent when our constitutional freedoms are being threatened.
SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE NANCY PELOSI
450 Golden Gate Ave., Burton Fed. Bldg.
San Francisco, CA 94102
Phone: (415) 556-4862
Fax: (415) 861-1670
SENATOR DIANNE FEINSTEIN
One Post St., #2450
San Francisco, CA 94104
Phone: (415) 393-0707
Fax: (415) 393-0710
To email go to www.feinstein.senate.gov
SENATOR BARBARA BOXER
1700 Montgomery St., #240
San Francisco, CA 94111
Phone: (415) 403-0100
Fax: (415) 956-6701
To email go to www.boxer.senate.gov
Here are some points to help you with your letters.
• Josh’s incarceration is a grave injustice and we need the help of our elected leaders to get him released.
• If writing Congresswoman Pelosi, request that she meet with Josh’s
mother and legal team. Josh is her constituent and this is a case of
great local and national importance.
• Ask our leaders to take a vocal public stand in support of Josh for
his brave and principled stand in defense of our constitutional rights.
• Let them know that numerous organizations have come out in support of
Josh and denounced his incarceration including Reporters Without
Borders, the National Lawyers Guild, The Society of Professional
Journalists, The First Amendment Project, and the Grand Jury Resistance
Project. The ACLU and the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press
have both filed amicus briefs on behalf of Josh.
• Josh’s incarceration and many other similar, recent assaults on the
freedom of the press endanger the media’s checks and balances role that
is so vital to our democracy. We must have a free press to have a free
country. Investigative journalism, a cornerstone of press freedom
cannot exist without maintaining the confidentiality of sources.
• The new Congress should swiftly debate and approve a federal shield
law that will uphold the right of journalists to protect the secrecy of
their sources—a privilege recognized in 33 states, including
California, but not at the federal level.
Please write letters to Josh while he is in prison and consider
maintaining correspondence with him for the duration of his
incarceration. Letters are his best connection to the outside world and
do a great deal to lift his spirits. We need to let Josh know that we
are thinking of him and supporting his courageous and important stand.
Please read the following regulations carefully before sending him a
Joshua Wolf #98005-111
Federal Detention Center, Unit J2
5675 8th Street
Dublin, CA 94568
- All letters must have a return address on the envelope.
- Please also put a return address on the letter itself, as prisoners are almost never given the envelopes.
- Keep in mind that all mail is read by authorities. Please do not discuss cases, charges or issues relating to either.
- Pictures are allowed, but must be 4×6 size or smaller. No Polaroids.
- Avoid using white-out, stickers, tape, colored ink/paper or glitter.
- Written correspondence and drawings may be in pencil, standard ink
pen, typewritten, or computer generated. No felt pens, markers, crayon,
or colored pencil, etc.
- All personal artwork must be in black & white, copied pages can be in color.
- PLAIN cards are allowed
- Most facilities do not allow torn pages from books, magazine or newspaper clippings. Photocopies, however, are accepted
- Please remember that, even if unsolicited, mail can still result in sanctions against a prisoner.
Letter Writing tips from:
Please support other journalists and activists resisting Grand Juries: Other Grand Juries
For a list of more prisoners who need your support see below
Josh said at a recent press conference:
"I’m sure that many of you are curious about my experiences being
imprisoned in Dublin; I have been very fortunate and much of my time
incarcerated was actually quite positive. While locked up, I met many
fellow prisoners who are truly stellar individuals and a observed a
community which is actually one of the healthiest that I have ever
lived in. To my friends in Unit J2, thanks for everything and I wish
you all the best of luck."
"In an effort to help get the stories of those incarcerated out into
the world, I have started to develop a not-for-profit organization
which will be known, for now, as prisonblogs.net
– the project is dedicated to giving a voice to the voiceless, and is
something that I am very excited about. Expect more details about this
initiative in the coming weeks."
Name and Number:
Sebastian Sanchez #70383-111 J2 Unit Cell#235
Bernard Thomas Jr. #93226-111
Hershel Hale #94669-011
Bruce "RAAF 1" Morton #04264-158
Eric Shaw #98204-011
Scott Heineman #12152-081
Edmund Burch #98040-011
Josh Shulkin #98331-011
Mounzer Mounir #93344-111
Johnny Parks #13063-006
Todd Sarver #85559-011
John Burton #78162-011
Name and Number
Federal Detention Center
5675 8th Street
Dublin CA 94568
Please send a letter AND email to US Attorney Scott Schools who has replaced Attorney Kevin Ryan on Josh’s case. It will be most effective to compose your own letter with these points in mind:
1. Urge him to drop the case
2. His confinement is an assault upon civil liberties of free speech and free press
3. The time Josh has already spent in jail (205 days as of 3/15/07) is totally disproportionate to the crime in question, minor damage to a police car (a broken tail light)
4. Josh’s confinement sends a very harmful message to Americans and to the world about the state of press freedoms in the United States
5. He has received two awards from the Society of Professional Journalists. Several other journalist groups support him and are demanding his release including Reporters Committe to Protect the Press, Reporters Without Borders, Committee to Protect Journalists, National Newspaper Guild, etc.
Send your letter to:
The Honorable Scott Schools
United States Attorney’s Office for the Northern
District of California
450 Golden Gate Avenue, 11th Floor
San Francisco, California 94102-3495
Email natalya.labauve AT usdoj.gov
If possible please also send an email version of your letter to supportletters AT joshwolf.net